Wednesday, September 28, 2011

4 months... Where has the time gone?

I cannot believe my miracle babies are 4 months old.  What the heck?  They are getting SO big!  They are so happy despite the around the clock barfing.

We took the boys to the pediatrician last month for their 4 month check-up.  Leyton was 12lbs 7oz and Parker 11lbs 13oz!  He is really catching up to Leyton!  Leyton finally made it on the percentile charts.  They have both been in the less than 5th percentile group.  Leyton was in the 10th and 5th on some things, I think it was head and weight respectively, and that his length he was still in the less than 5th group.  Each time we go, we fill out a developmental survey.  Both boys are on track developmentally for a 4 month old baby!  I was so glad because I thought this time they were going to show behind, but there was only 1 thing each baby isn't doing that I had to say no for on the survey.  I am taking them to the developmental therapist they saw in the NICU in November for a 6 month check-up just to make sure.  Leyton will probably roll over in the next week, but I'm not sure about Parker.  It's hard for them to spend more than 30 minutes a day on their tummies with this reflux.  I'm not too worried about it though, I am more interested in the sitting up.  They love to sit up with me holding their hands.  They are so smily now.  Leyton coos a lot too in response to you talking.  He will carry on a conversation with you.  Parker coos too, but not allllllll the time like Leyton does.  Leyton will sit in his bouncer seat and talk to the pig and cow that are hanging from the toy bar.  It's hilarious!

Tomorrow I am taking Parker to the head doctor.  He was born with a football head.  It was SO long when he was born, and we were hoping it would round out but it's just not.  Because it was so hard for him to lay on the back of his head, he has always had to lay his head to the side.  Ever since he got home from the NICU, we noticed he preferred his left side.  I have been turning his head to the right in a stretching fashion, but he still prefers that left side so much that it is getting a flat spot.  There are also a couple of spots on the back right of his head that bulge out, and they kind of look like a knot where he hit his head.  I really think he needs to be in a helmet, so I had the pediatrician refer us.  I feel really bad that Parker will have to wear a helmet and Leyton won't, but I just keep telling myself I don't want him to have a deformed head.  The head shape is one of the few ways I can tell them apart now.  If Parker's head was normal, they would really look identical like they are supposed to, so in that way, I am excited for him to have a helmet.

The reflux is still going on.  We are still doing our drop technique to get them to keep it down, and that isn't working as quickly as it used to.  Mommy is getting a workout doing it all of the time!  Hopefully only a couple more months of this garbage.

I finally tried the cloth diapers I bought.  They were SO bulky, so I returned the ones I hadn't opened and acutally did a little more research.  I guess I was looking in the wrong place before because the diapers I purchased got not so hot reviews from Amazon.  I bought some bumGenius diapers instead.  They are really neat because the one diaper will fit them until they are out of diapers!  They are really cool.  It's the outer cover with a fluffy liner thingy sewn in.  You stuff this microfiber cloth inside, and then it just looks like a regular diaper.  I have these liners that you put inside the diaper to help with the poopy diapers.  I've tried 2 different ones so far, ones that look like dryer sheets and ones that are like paper towels.  I will tell you what. If it wasn't for those liners there is NO WAY I would cloth diaper my kids.  When they poop, you just pull the liner out and flush it with the poop, and there is usually NO poop on the diaper itself.  I throw the wet diapers in a bin, and wash the diapers once a day in my washing machine, and hang dry them.  You have to hang dry the outside cover, I'm guessing because of the waterproof material.  If I have a load of the boys clothes, I will just toss the microfiber things in with those to dry, but I have been hanging those up outside also if not.  So far what I have spent on the diapers is about 3 months worth of disposable diapers would cost me. After that, it's just the cost of the extra water, detergent, and wear and tear on my washer, and of course about 15 minutes of my time each day.  I'd say it's well worth it and recommend to anyone!  Cloth diapering is MUCH easier than I thought it would be!

The pediatrician told us was that we could begin to spoon feed if we felt they were ready.  I tried a little rice on Parker, and he loved opening his mouth for the spoon!  It was so cute!  Then I went on to Leyton, and he just cried the whole time!  I tried the next day and got the same reaction.  Right now it is just practice for Parker because he's not really eating but a teaspoon the whole sitting.  I have to stop when that gag reflex kicks in and barf face comes.  Stupid barf face.

Here's a couple pictures I took of them today:



No comments:

Post a Comment