Tuesday, May 15, 2012

My special boys

I had a very special first Mother's Day.  I woke up feeling refreshed, and so blessed to have these two boys.  They got me a sweet card, a new diaper bag, wallet, and duffel bag!  So sweet!  Daddy went and got me donuts for breakfast.  I never eat donuts anymore because they are SO bad for you, but this was a special treat.  We spent the afternoon at Rick's aunt's house with the family and my mother.  When we got home, I decided to make a mother's day tradition of locking myself in our room and watching a movie in bed ALONE. Rick got the boys in bed for me.

Yesterday, we took Leyton back to the eye doctor.  We saw a different doctor this time, and he could tell right away that the first doctor who examined him had it a little off.  Originally we were told that if it didn't get better he'd need surgery, and that was all that could be done.  This doctor agreed with me that yes he does his weird thing with both eyes, but more so with his left eye.  He wants Leyton to wear an eye patch over his right eye for an hour a day so he can try and strengthen those muscles.  He still is most likely going to need surgery, which will loosen the muscles in his eyes so he can aim them straight.  He would need the surgery before he starts using his bilateral vision (with both eyes).  The patch is a last ditch effort for now.  He goes back in a month for a re-check.  Yesterday I put a patch on and he had ripped it off in 15 minutes, so we did two shorter sessions.  The second time he kept it on after I kept him distracted for the first 15 minutes.  Today I put it on him and he grabbed at it a few times, but he wore it the entire hour!  They are sticker patches by the way, not a pirate patch.

Parker is really taking off on his development.  The last time I posted was 2 weeks ago.  He is now doing a normal 4-point crawl, can go from sitting to crawling and crawling to sitting.  He is getting in to everything just like his big brother!  He is feeding himself MUCH better, but he is still gagging some and having swallowing difficulties with different textures.  I am breaking everything up much smaller for Parker than I do for Leyton, and giving him lots of practice because I figure that is what feeding therapy would do anyways.  If he doesn't get better soon, I'm going to have to take him back to the specialist.

You wouldn't believe how many people stop me everywhere I go with them and say, "Double Trouble."  It gets OLD.  These boys are not double trouble, they are double SPECIAL.  Yes they keep me busy, yes they have some health issues that require me to work with them more than a normal baby, and yes they get in to things when I don't put it away or shut the doors.  I am worn out most of the end of the days, but sometimes I just wish I had the guts to tell the average person that I prayed SO HARD for this "Double Trouble" as they call it, and they are not trouble, they are blessings.  But, I just giggle inside, shake my head yes, and go on...

No comments:

Post a Comment